I have worked with a number of independent authors over the years on novels (mainly crime and erotica), non-fiction such as true crime, and memoirs. You may be looking to self-publish on the Kindle Store or print-on-demand, want to get your book in shape before going to an agent or publishing house, or just want a small print run for copies to give to your family.
For more information about how I work with authors, download my factsheet (PDF).
When you’ve finished your final draft, I will provide a detailed copy-edit in Microsoft Word and do all of the following:
- check spelling, punctuation and grammar
- apply consistency for spelling choices, styling and formatting
- check your chapter headings and ensure they match the chapter table at the start
- punctuate dialogue consistently
- rewriting sentences to read better
- check for plot holes
- check plot timelines
- check character consistencies (name, clothing, job, backstory, etc)
- fact-check for place names and their geography, historical events that are mentioned, etc
- flag any legal concerns – defamation of real-life persons, copyright, etc
- ensure all loose ends are tied up
- make suggestions where I think you can improve your story
- flag any legal concerns – defamation, copyright, etc
- leave margin comments for anything else that needs attention
I always use Tracked Changes in Word so you can see exactly what I have done. I typically do a read-through, one round of copy-editing and a second check before handover. I will then apply any small amendments you wish to make. Further rounds of editing, particularly with substantial changes, will be subject to additional cost.
I supply two copies of the manuscript on completion: one with all changes tracked and margin comments visible, and one “clean” with changes accepted so the author can read the amended version easily.